(Yield: 1 highball glass, large drink, 1 person)
- 2 oz vodka. (Use 1 – 1 1/2 oz for lighter alcohol content)
- 1/2 oz triple sec
- 2 oz sparkling water (or seltzer water. Club soda has more salt so first two preferred)
- 1/4 oz fresh squeezed lemon (Meyer lemon best!)
- 1/4 cup fresh blackberries
- Other fruit (such as 2 raspberries, blueberries, strawberries), optional
- Mint leaves, torn
- Ice cubes, unflavoured (lemon or lime cubes also ok)
Two-sided cocktail shaker
Jigger/shot glass to measure ounces
Lemon press (optional)
Place 3-4 ice cubes in metal side of cocktail shaker. Add triple sec, lemon. Chill.
Muddle berries and mint with vodka. Add to metal shaker and all other ingredients.
Add sparkling water. Shake GENTLY (caution – this is where the “boom” in the name comes from – carbonation will cause a lot of pressure, so use a tight seal on shaker parts. You don’t need to add before shaking, but it mixes the drink much better and creates delicious berry froth.)
(If you don’t like fruit and seeds, use the strainer to remove before pouring, but it adds a lot of flavour + vitamins!)